Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Big Feast



We made it!
My little household (my roommate and I), made a full Thanksgiving meal for the Americans here, and let me tell you, it was a lot of work. Americans all know this, but I was not mentally or physically prepared for cooking a 26 pound turkey and many side dishes.

We started preparing on Wednesday night, baking apple and pumpkin pies, and a southern style onion cornbread. The next morning we got up early, I walked over to the YWAM base to pick up the bird, whom Jae lovingly named Larry. My fridge is not big enough for a turkey that size, so we kept him there till it was time to cook. It is only 2 blocks away, but my arms are still sore from that little exercise!

I had never cooked a turkey before, so I am very thankful for the internet, that provided me with all sorts of recipes. It was quite exciting to see my oven filled to the brim with a huge bird, and very satisfactory to be able to serve it to our guests, only a little dry, but okay enough for a first time.

In addition we made mashed potatoes and gravy (of course), green bean casserole, candied yams (Jae´s favorite), corn bread dressing (Mike´s great grandma´s recipe!), and grated carrots, because thats´s the way Eddie likes them.

After eating all that, we were stuffed of course. But it was good, and it was worth it, including the mountain of dishes. I got to use my old china too, and it delighted my heart to set a holiday table. It doesnt hurt that my fridge is full of leftovers either. I like this holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...