Wednesday, January 6, 2016

January Cure #4 Set up an outbox



An outbox is an essential part of the Cure philosophy. The outbox is a clearly defined area; a box/bag/area/room where items can go before you decide their final fate. Perfect for all those things you wonder whether you should keep or not, the outbox comes really handy.

Here is what Apartment Therapy says about this tool:

OUTBOX RULES 
1. Anything can go in the Outbox
2. The Outbox is allowed to get messy 
3. Everything must stay in the Outbox for at least one week 
4. After that time you have several choices:  Take anything back out / Leave anything you are undecided about for one more week / Dispose of the rest by moving to the recycling bin or giveaway pile 

Once you get used to separating first and disposing of later, you'll find that clearing clutter gets easier and easier.

Closet redesign is on our list and I hope to find a good solution for an outbox there, as it is the only closet and storage out of sight in the whole apartment. The outbox objects are already in there, but I do wish there was a little more room for it. Since participating in my first January Cure, I have made a habit of having 1 bag for clothes and 1 bag for other things to be donated, that always sit in the closet. It makes it a lot easier to part with someting when I know where to put it temporarily. My job was therefore really easy today, I only found a larger reusable shopping bag that can hold both of the bags I already had, and then some more. Then I added a few books to it after going through the bookshelf.

When it comes to actually donating I have trouble finding places to do it. Well, apart from clothes that can be put in a container right around the corner. The closest second hand stores are only open limited hours on weekdays here. We don't have a car either, which makes it harder to get rid of bigger items. Since my husband is a student with a flexible schedule, this part of the process might have to be his task.

Mike got us a new bookshelf yesterday, and he put  it together while I was at work today. Then it was a fun task for me to organize and decorate the shelves. The room looks quite different now, and I am impatient for some good lighting to take picture of it!


Artwork "This is the worst" by Ashley Elander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...