A few people have asked me where I got my wedding dress, and I have to disappoint future brides when I tell them the dress is not from a known bridal designer, and actually a fake Dolce and Gabbana gown found in a small shop in Tallinn. However, if you are interested in the style I wore, or have a small dress budget, I have a few tips for you.
1. Skip the bridal salons and go to every other store that sells dresses. You will not get the same kind of service, but that is part of what you pay for with a wedding gown. The downside: This might be easier in the spring/summer when white dresses are more weather appropriate than the rest of the year.
2. Go to the bridal salons (yes...) to try on dresses and get an idea of what you like and what you don't like. While trying on many gorgeous dresses I realized I felt very uncomfortable in the heavy and structured gowns, and the ones I liked were way way out of my budget.
3. Try vintage for a unique dress at a good price. But beware of alteration costs, unless you or your mom likes to sew. Try finding a seller that will let you try it on and return it if it doesn't fit.
4. Bridesmaid dresses can often be found in white/cream for the fraction of the cost of a wedding gown. They will probably be less elaborate than wedding gowns, but that might be what you are after!
5. Consider a non-white dress! Gold sequins anyone?
Here are a few picks from around the web that I would have considered for myself a year ago. All under 2000 kr, with just one exception...
1. ModCloth Wed and Where, 758 kr
No lace, but with the same silhouette as my own wedding dress.
2. ASOS Floral Embellished Maxi Dress, 875 kr
A smilar, flowy dress.
This one is sold out, but they currently have some other shorter white dresses.
4. Untraditional, yes, but this embellished Ambar Maxi dress from Topshop is on sale, and a steal right now for only 212 kr!!
5. BHS White Jacquard Prom Dress. Now on sale for only 364 kr
This one has pockets! Would be perfect for your handkerchief or lipstick.
6. Next, Layered Wiggle Dress 636 kr
This brand is called Little Mistress, but if you're not that into symbolism,
this could be a great wedding dress for a city wedding.
7. Aidan Mattox Sequin V-Back Mesh Gown from Nordstrom
This gown is 3039 kr but too pretty not to share!
Vintage wedding dresses
8. Simplicity is Bliss 50s tea length lace dress, 1706 kr
Etsy has a myriad of options, and you can spend a long time searching here, so it is good to have an idea of what you like before you start.