Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Adventures in truffle making

Truffles from Motherfudger Fudge.

I had my sister here this past weekend, and having guests over is the perfect opportunity to try new and sweet recipes. In the latest issue of the Norwegian interior magazine Rom 123, I had seen a recipe for chocolate chili truffles, and it looked too easy not to try.

Sunday night I was ready to make a rich chocolate treat, and with some leftover cream from these salted caramel brownies I made for Valentines Day (And yes, they were delicious, rich, chewy and sweet. You should try them!) I thought I had the all the ingredients I needed. With a list of four things, you would think I did, but I didn´t check the measurements, and had less than half the amount of chocolate it called for.

"Let´s go for it anyway." I was optimistic, thinking it couldn´t matter that much. Well, after the allotted two hours in the fridge, the mix was still a soupy mess, and since night was drawing close, I put the tin in the freezer, to make sure it solidified in one way or another. 18 hours later I remembered my project, and since it was frozen through, it was no problem to cut it into bite size pieces and roll them in cocoa. I was still unsure they would hold up, and sure enough, an hour later, they almost melted when touched, so I decided to freeze most of them.

You can see this as a problem, but I have a couple of solutions:
A. Thaw the amount of truffles you want to eat (they will keep their shape fine) and eat with a spoon.
B. Eat them right out of the freezer. It is the perfect bite size ice cream.

In other words, I would try doing this just like the recipe tells you to. It will taste great both ways though.

Dark chocolate chili truffles
2,5 dl heavy cream
1/4 tsp chili powder
250 g dark chocolate
cocoa powder

- Warm the cream and chili in a small pan. Do not let it boil.
- Add finely chopped chocolate and stir till it is dissolved.
- Pour mixture in a small tin (15x20cm) lined with parchment paper.
- Put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours (probably longer)
- Cut into squares and coat with cocoa powder.
- Store in fridge.


If this seems to cumbersome for you, I found an etsy store that makes similar once for you and you can have them delivered to your door.

PS. Would you call this baking or cooking? I can´t decide what category this fits in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...