Monday, October 4, 2010

Kanelbullans dag!

Ok, Pioneer Woman, I am ready to tackle one of your recipes!
The pictures of scrumptious cinnamon buns have been popping up everywhere on her site, and with today being cinnamon bun day in Sweden, I decided it was time.

Here it goes:

10 steps to great cinnamon buns

1. Heat milk, sugar and vegetable oil (Not butter! I know, I am surprised too.) in a pan to scalding hot. I decided to put my finger in there to see if it was getting hot enough, and my finger would not forget I gave it such an unpleasant experience for about an hour. Then let the mixture cool till its no longer scalding, but merely warm. This my friend, takes a long time.

2. Add a packet of dry yeast and let it sit for a minute, then add four cups of flour.

3. Let it rise to the occasion (for about an hour to reach double size). While you wait you can start writing the blog post about it, and check out tons of other delicious looking recipes at www.bakerella.com. Her cake pops are amazing! Can you believe these things are edible? Way too much work for cake, if you ask me. Cute, but you wont see me doing this any time soon.

Apple cake pops
4. Enough about cake pops, it is time to add another half cup of flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the cinnamon bun dough, and stir well.

5. Here, the Pioneer Woman would let the dough sit in her fridge for a day or two to be cool enough to work with, but I am not a stay at home mom with four kids, and when I find out I want to make cinnamon buns, I want to eat them too, not wait 24 hours for the dough to be more baker-friendly.
So I started rolling the dough at this point, and forced it into a rectangle shape. Pour on melted butter, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar (and some raisins here and there) and roll tight.

6. Cut 2 cm thick rolls and put them in various pans. I suggest a muffin pan, a square pan or just scatter them on a cookie sheet. Let them rise for another 20 minutes.


7. Put them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 200 degrees.

8. While they get a good tan, turn your back to the MOUNTAIN of dishes (since your roommate suggested to wait with dinner dishes till you were done baking) and make the frosting. Combine all the ingredients and whisk to get a pourable consistency and taste it... mmmmm....

9. Remove cinnamon buns from the oven and sprinkle (or drown them) with the frosting.


10. Enjoy with an episode of Felicity (or other tv-show of your preference)



Here are the ingredients 
(half of Pioneer Womans batch, adapted to fit the content of a Norwegian cupboard)
  • 2 cups Milk
  • 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 package Dry Yeast
  • 4 cups (Plus 1/2 Cup Extra, Separated) Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Tablespoon (heaping) Salt
  • Plenty Of Melted Butter
  • 1 cup Sugar (I think I only used half a cup here)
  • Generous Sprinkling Of Cinnamon

      COFFEE (MAPLE) FROSTING: 
      (a quarter of her recipe for this one)
  • 1 cup Powdered Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar (this was supposed to be Maple flavoring, but I dont know if such a thing can be found around here)
  • 1 Tbs cups Milk
  • 1 Tbs Melted Butter
  • 1 Tbs Brewed Coffee
  • a pinch of Salt
This recipe gave about 40 small cinnamon buns, if you make them bigger, there would be fewer of them, naturally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...