Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bittersweet

This week has been C-R-A-Z-Y.
My mind is tired from thinking of so many things, and lets just say that weekends are delightful and good for sleeping, sitting, lighting the fireplace and eating cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

One of the worst things about YWAM is that you get great friends, but then, just as quickly as they came into your life, they are gone again, and most likely to a remote corner of the world, and you never know when you will see them again. It sucks. Someone said it is important to guard your heart, and I know it is true, but it still sucks that people leave.

Well, at least we have to celebrate one (or two) last time before they go, so we had a fondue party. All the blogs I read are raving over caramel apples, so I was considering making that for our little sugar shock feast. Just look at these:

Emmas caramel chocolate apples

Miss James' candy covered caramel apples

Even though caramel apples look like fun, they seem a bit overwhelming to me. Imagine eating a whole apple covered in caramel... Rather, I thought I could make a caramel dip. The recipe I used was for caramel sauce and was a bit runny, but worked just fine for our purpose.

In a skillet, heat 100g brown sugar, 4 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of syrup (Norsk: lys sirup) till the sugar has dissolved. Add about 2 dl of cream and let it simmer for a few minutes. I added cinnamon to half of the batch and it gave a nice, spicy feel to it, but the plain one is great as well. Now, grab a fondue fork and dig in! I probably ate more than one apple covered in caramel when you take all the pieces combined, and it was good.

You can also try these caramel buttons. I havent. Yet. But they look so easy and so good, so I might go for it one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...