Monday, May 23, 2011

Somewhere

 The adorable Elle Fanning

The past weeks (months even...) I have not been baking anything. I dont know why, I usually love baking, but I guess I just havent felt like it. Today was the day to get back in the saddle, and on the menu was pasta and fruit crumble. The roommate weekend  of pizza, Felicity, thrifting and trolls wasnt enough, so we continued with more food and fun tonight. And the special movie treat this time was a rhubarb apple crumble. I found a British recipe here, and here it is, including some of my comments and suggestions:

Rhubarb apple crumble

For the filling
  • 450 g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used some apples from the freezer, never asked for their names)
  • 200 g rhubarb, sliced (thank you Asia mat!)
  • 1 knob butter, plus extra for greasing (How much is a knob anyways?)
  • 75 g light brown sugar
  • 1 pinches ground cinnamon
  • splash cider brandy (And who has brandy in their cupboard? Not this girl... I just skipped it)
  • 2 cm ginger, peeled and grated (Occasionally I have fresh ginger in the fridge, but the dried stuff had to do this time)
For the topping
  • 100 g butter, diced
  • 200 g plain flour (I substituted some of it with rolled oats)
  • 1 pinches ground ginger
  • 50 g demerara sugar
To serve
  • double cream, or custard (or coffee)

How to: 
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease an ovenproof dish with butter. (Note: dont use a cake pan with removable bottom, this stuff is too liquidy for that. Not to self: clean the oven!)

2. For the filling: put the apples and rhubarb in the ovenproof dish and dot with butter. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the fruit. Pour over a little cider brandy and sprinkle with grated fresh ginger (grate the ginger directly over the dish, if you like). Or just skip it completely if you dont feel like it. 

3. For the topping: put the butter, flour, ground ginger and half the sugar in a mixing bowl. Rub together until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Heap the crumble over the fruit and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. 

4. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top of the crumble is golden and crisp. Serve warm with double cream or custard.   Serve as it is if you dont bother to run to the store. It still tastes great, I promise! 



One whole evening in the kitchen, and it felt good, I tell you! 
And maybe some day, Somewhere, I will make eggs benedict like Cleo... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...