Monday, February 21, 2011

Latvia: mercy beyond the cubicle

Visiting a family in Latvia, from last years outreach
“Son of David, have mercy on me!” There weren’t few who called out to Jesus while he walked about in Israel, and he answered by showing mercy. He had compassion on them and helped just the way they needed it.

A few years ago we started focusing more on mercy ministry at the YWAM base in Skien, and lately we have been talking about it even more. Now, in the end of February I will go to Latvia with 27 others from Skien to join a giant outreach with a total of 250 people.  Before we go our job is to fill a truck with clothes, shoes, linen and toys to bring with us to give away. We will also go door to door with food, show care and share the Gospel with the ones who suffer most in those areas.

I have been thinking: Isn’t this what we long for? To help those who really need it? To make a difference? In the Bible we can read over and over again about taking care of the poor, widows and fatherless. There is no doubt that this is something God values, and if there is one thing I am sure of, it is that I want to be more like Him. Going to Latvia will hopefully bring me a step closer in this direction. I know this trip will be challenging in many areas, but in a good way. 

Oh, and it is good for me to get out of the office cubicle once in a while.

PS. If you want to give towards my outreach (Update: I need 1900 3000 NOK by Friday) you can give with VISA via paypal at the bottom of the page or to my norwegian bank account 9713 35 17867.

PPS. If this seems familiar to anyone, dont be confused, if you get my newsletters you have probably  read it there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...