Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wedding cake topper and garland DIY

In addition to our "book themed" decor, I had two tiny little DIY projects that were cheap, quick and basically took up no room in my suitcase - perfect for a destination wedding.


Number 1: A tiny "Happy Day" banner behind our sweetheart table. 
And as you can see, it truly was a happy day!


Number 2: "Mr & Mrs Beaudreau" cake topper on our almond ring cake. 


How I did it:
Both of the projects are based on this free garland and flower download from Oh Happy Day. It is actually a Mother´s Day kit, but if you omit the word "mother", it will only say "Happy Day", and you can use it for anything! Simply cut out the letters and flowers you want, and attach it to string or ribbon with tape on the back.

For the cake topper I also used a free banner template from freepik.com. I can't find this exact one, but there are tons of free vector images you can download and edit yourself. I used Indesign to add our names on the ribbon, and then printed it on card stock. Assembling the cake topper requires wooden grilling sticks, tape, and a couple of minutes of your time. This was done on site to make sure it wasn't damaged during transportation.

Total cost: 3 kr/50 cents for printing. Plus some string and wooden grilling sticks I already had.
How is that for budget wedding decor?

Photography: The nice action shots are by Michaela Nichole Photography, the other one is taken with my phone in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a note:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...